Steve Jobs gave a talk to Stanford University students graduating. In that talk he said that looking back he could now see connections between different events on his life path . At the earlier event he had no idea the particular passions or interests would be useful further down the road, he was just doing what he loved. The example he gave was attending Calligraphy class at college and then using that learning ten years later on building the Mac.He called these events or passions dots.
In response to this, I have drawn out my own path of dots so far. The result is not really what I expected yet it is what I should have expected. Here are all the things I have been passionate about in a rough chronological order.
- Den building
- Climbing trees
- Being outside dawn til dusk – nature
- Folk song Raggle Taggle Gypsy
- Stories, poetry, books, reading
- Spirituality/healing/alternative medicine
- Biographical storytelling
- Mystical traditions
- Natural ways of living
- Empowerment / freedom / change
- Environmental issues / recycling / leave no trace
- Change / Improvement / Communication – telling it as it is
- Music / festivals
- Travel, exploring
- Wild camping
Seeing these ‘dots’ my Photography starts to make a more sense. I would challenge any one to look at my portfolio and not see these ‘dots’ reflected back. Themes of nature, mysticism, exploration and life stories are everywhere.
Thank you Steve Jobs, for bringing it all together.